Re: [opensuse] Upgrade experiences 10.0 -> 10.2 ?
  • From: Moby <moby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 13:16:50 -0600

Karl Agee wrote:
--- Verner Kjærsgaard <vk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Lørdag 23 december 2006 19:16 skrev Karl Agee:
I've seen only a few posts on successful upgrades
from
10.0 to opensuse 10.2, anyone have any further
experiences/words of wisdom before I "take the
plunge"?

Yes, I do have a complete backup made in case it
goes foobar.
protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com
Hi,

I just went ahead and did it a couple of days ago.
In fact, I did NOT upgrade my DELL laptop (M90 Precision), I just installed it
over SuSE10 - but WITHOUT formatting my /home partition.
It worked flawlessly well.

I then re-installed, either from old downloads or
new ones, a few of my very much used programmes, i.e. zend, datafold and
others.

The only hitch I had was smbmount not being there.
This list advised me to use cifs instead to mount my VPN remote samba shares.
That worked perfectly fine too.

YMMV though :-)

For additional commands, e-mail:
opensuse+help@xxxxxxxxxxxx

The upgrade went extremely_smoothly! Better than
anything from Microsoft. It did delete some programs
I had installed myself like ncftp client but
re-installing those was trival. Also, had to
reinstall mplayer and update w32codecs so I could play
mp3's. Looking good so far.

Smart-gui isnt working well so I'm just using yast to
install software from sources. No problems there.

--Karl

So far I have updated two machines from 10.1 to 10.2. Everything worked pretty much flawlessly, except I had to perform the upgrade in text mode. The only big headache I had was getting a set of repositories together for the packages I use for 10.2 - now that that is done, using smart works great, and I have been able to upgrade everything I use.

--
--Moby

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin