Re: [opensuse] gnome menus in 9.3 and Nautilus
  • From: Dave Howorth <Dave.Howorth@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 15:22:38 +0000
> I looked through the Applications menu on the desktop
> but didn't find anything to edit the menu and I looked through YaST but
> only found the Gnome Control Center, which AFAIK doesn't let me edit
> menus. Do you know the name of the program you're thinking of so I could
> start it from the command line, or even check if it's installed?
>
> I don't even know whether these settings are system-wide or per-user
> (I'd hope the latter :) but so far I haven't found the appropriate
> config files in either /etc or my home directory.

I've found some hints that Nautilus is used to edit the menus, which
themselves seem to be part of gnome-panel. sadly, I don't normally use
Nautilus (find and grep -r usually work well for me :) so I'm reduced to
RTFM. I've found the GNOME 2.8 Desktop User Guide on my system (though
it looks like gnome itself is 2.10). In Chapter 7 - "Nautilus File
Manager" - there's a section called "Navigating Your Computer" with a
topic "Open special URI locations" that appears promising. There's Table
7.7. "Special URI Locations" that lists likely looking options, but it
doesn't work!

For example, it lists fonts:/// and themes:/// and when I open those, I
see the appropriate lists. But if I try to open the ones that seem
relevant - applications:///, preferences:///, start-here:/// or
system-settings:/// - Nautilus says things like:

"start-here:///" is not a valid location.
Please check the spelling and try again.

Does anybody more familiar with Nautilus know how to get around this? Or
of some documentation that describes what is different between the
version of Gnome shipped with SUSE 9.3 and the documentation that was
supplied?

Thanks, Dave