Re: [opensuse] Goodbye to suse
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 04:44:11 +0100 (CET)

The Saturday 2006-12-23 at 19:14 -0600, John wrote:

> I'll tell you what this patent protection did for me.
>
> I had a nearly fully functioning SUSE 10.0 system. I never could get the
> nVidia driver to install and work for 3D video, although it worked fine
> in SUSE 9.2 Professional.
>
> I made the mistake of upgrading to openSUSE 10.2 and now I'm regretting
> it big time. Mplayer was uninstalled by the upgrade, and none of my
> multimedia apps work cause of file format patents, from what I can tell
> by the big warning about patents on a Novell web page. I never saw or

Sigh....

This has always been so, even before SuSE 9.2. Multimedia apps from SuSE
are always limited in capacity to what is legally possible. Ie, they have
always removed the capacities for things that are patented or which have a
non clear license. It has always been so. You can check their comments
inside the rpms and see for yourself.

If you want to bypass those licenses, then you are on your own, as you
have always been.

Those things were updated to a newer versions, because that's what you
told the install program to do. They are newer versions, but limited. Same
thing as has been done for years and versions of SuSE, even before Novell.

And the solutions are what have always been. But as you are leaving,
goodbye.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.