Re: [opensuse] doc to txt conversion
  • From: Jim Cunning <jcunning@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 15:56:56 -0800
On Saturday 23 December 2006 13:21, James Knott wrote:
> Felix Miata wrote:
> > Which app do we have to strip the glop from a M$ .doc file and output
> > just the content to a plain text file? OO print to file doesn't seem to
> > understand anything but postscript. Do I need to "install" a "text
> > printer"?
> >
> > TIA
>
> Why not just save it as a text (.txt) file???

I used to use a Linux utility called 'antiword' to read MSWord .doc files and
produce plain text that could be indexed with a utility called glimpse. As I
recall it did a pretty good job of preserving the formatting--as much as is
possible with ascii text--and it certainly removed the 'glop'.

Jim Cunning