Re: [opensuse] how to install usb external disk
  • From: Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 16:53:57 -0500
On Sat, 2006-12-23 at 20:23 +0100, Primm wrote:
> On Saturday 23 December 2006 20:01, Mike McMullin wrote:

{snip}

> > > Partition table entries are not in disk order
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> >
> > Look for something in the /dev/sda line. I'm using a USB HD enclosure
> > under 10.0. I did notice that if I used the YaST2 partitioning tool it
> > showed me the device as a /dev/sda. However I'm curious as to why your
> > hardware notification did not kick in when you turned it on.
> > You might want to try mount /dev/sda1 /<mountpoint> -tauto, and then
> > navigate to that location.
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Mike
>
> When I plug it in nothing happens. Trying to mount /dev/sda gives:
>
> mount /dev/sda /mnt
> mount: No medium found

I don't know about you, but I have several mountpoints at /mnt.
e.g. /mnt/XP, /mnt/Ubuntu, /mnt/Ubuntu_Home, /mnt/Debian_Sarge.
So it wold be a good idea to create a mountpoint under /mnt.
> and

> mount /dev/sda1 /mnt -tauto
> mount: special device /dev/sda1 does not exist
>
> Still no luck.
>
> Steve

Fire up YaST and use the disk partitioning software, if you've got a
connection to the device it ought to show up there. Ensure the device
is powered up and your USB port/cable is in working order.