[opensuse] openSuse 10.2 sometimes jams in Dell Inpiron 6400, and problems with routing sound
  • From: "Irfan Habib" <irfan.habib@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 05:18:00 -0500
Hi,

OpenSUSE 10.2 is a GREAT distro! I really love it, and it has replaced
Windows for nearly all tasks for me, I've also thrown out Slackware to
make space for it. But sometimes I'm facing a problem for which I
always have to go back to windows:

-> Sometimes when booting OpenSUSE 10.2, the booting process just
jams! it stops responding after it outputs "Activating device
mappings"

->Sometimes it works fine

->But when it does happen some fiddling with the kernel parameters
gets it to run, like "noacpi", it boots without any problems

->Failsafe ALWAYS works.

No explicit kernel panic or error is outputted, so how can the problem
be diagnosed? This didnt use to happen to me in OpenSUSE 10.1, I also
had Slackware 11.0/10.2 for a long time before I tried OpenSUSE 10.2,
and it had no problems.

There is another annoying bug, which I'm sure again is openSuse 10.2
specific, as it didn't happen with Slackware 10.2/11.0 and Windows:

-> Sometimes, when I plug the headset in, the sound is NOT routed to
the headset, rather continues to be routed to the speakers. Some
people say that this is a hardware fault, but I have never seen such
problems in windows , and the sound routing used to work fine in
Slackware 10.2 with kernel-2.4.33.

I would really appreciate any help on these two things, once these are
resolved than I can finally enjoy my openSuse 10.2 installation.

Regards,
Irfan