Re: [opensuse] gnome menus in 9.3
  • From: Dave Howorth <Dave.Howorth@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 20:19:06 +0000
On Fri, 2006-12-22 at 11:00 -0500, Carl Hartung wrote:
> On Friday 22 December 2006 09:38, Dave Howorth wrote:
> > I'd like to edit the Applications menu on my Suse 9.3 Gnome desktop but
> > can't figure out how to do it.
> >
> > Is there an application to do it (on 9.3 - not the new gnome menu
> > editor, thanks)? Alternatively, where are the files?
> >
> > I've clicked, grepped, RTFM, googled etc but haven't found anything. I
> > expect it's right under my nose :~/

Hi Carl,

> Are you running the 'stock' 9.3 GNOME setup or the 'supplementary' branch?

I don't know what these are? So I'd guess 'stock'.

> I also have a vague recollection of it
> being fairly simple once discerned.

I have that same suspicion, but I haven't discerned it yet :)

> Weren't the menu systems in KDE and GNOME (and the other DEs) in the
> process of being brought under a single system or standard circa 9.3
> to ease administration? (Heck! I've forgotten the acronym!!)

Don't know, I'm afraid. 'Single standard' has a bit of a hollow ring in
the [U|Li]nux world!

> If you edit something in your KDE menu (using the menu editor in the
> YaST/KDE Control Center editor)

I don't use KDE. I looked through the Applications menu on the desktop
but didn't find anything to edit the menu and I looked through YaST but
only found the Gnome Control Center, which AFAIK doesn't let me edit
menus. Do you know the name of the program you're thinking of so I could
start it from the command line, or even check if it's installed?

I don't even know whether these settings are system-wide or per-user
(I'd hope the latter :) but so far I haven't found the appropriate
config files in either /etc or my home directory.

Cheers, Dave