Re: [opensuse] How to automount shares on samba server?
  • From: S Glasoe <srglasoe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 10:54:12 -0600
On Friday 22 December 2006 06:16, Frank Murphy wrote:
> Want to automount at boot my samba shares on my FC6 server. (my home lan)
>
> Is it fstab I modify?, or where to start?
<snip>
> Frank

http://www.justlinux.com/nhf/Filesystems/Mounting_smbfs_Shares_Permanently.html
is a good read to do this quickly, easily, reliably.

Along with the smbclient (and smb server if you want to share from this
machine to the home LAN also) as noetd by Detlef.

As root, remember to add samba users on all your machines:
# smbpasswd -a username
rinse, lather repeat as necessary.

Other useful commands that can be used in KDE and Konqueror specifically:
fish://user@server/share to browse a share on a server
fish://user@server/ to browse all shares on a server
smb:/ to see all workgroups in your LAN
smb://workgroup to see all the servers in a workgroup
smb://username@server to see available shares
smb://username@server/share to get a login prompt for that username/password

Several ways to administer Samba also:
- KDE Control Center, Internet & Network, Samba - expand the window to see
all of it and login as root to rummage around.
- Enable swat via YaST, Network Services, Network Service (xinetd) and then
surf to http://localhost:901 and login as root.

Have a Merry Christmas everyone! Even though Santa may be challenged getting
the boxed set of openSUSE 10.2 down your chimney this year!

Stan