Re: [opensuse] Can spam be defeated?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 01:45:51 +0100 (CET)

The Thursday 2006-12-21 at 14:08 +0100, Sandy Drobic wrote:

> > However, I understand that this is precisely what SuSE server does. You
> > know, _I_ would be rejected otherwise ;-)
>
> The Suse server is not exactly high-volume. It may receive some ten thousand
> mails per day, not much more. Believe me, if the list server had to process
> all mails that it is SENDING for spam and viruses it would need some SERIOUS
> hardware. (^-^)

Probably. What about gmail? I can send to them ;-)

> I am very glad that the suse server accepts mails from dynamic ips. Though the
> listserver has the protection of only allowing the list subscribers as sender
> addresses. That is probably why it is possible at all.

That's true, but I understand the entry server was the same for the whole
company - SuSE, that is, not Novell. Maybe the use other blocks, but
AFAIK, not dymamic IPs. Which is very fortunate for me, of course.

> The postfix-users mailing list gets a lot of cries for help because the mail
> queue has piled up into dimensions that threaten to bury the server. Usually
> it is because either to many mails are waiting to be processed or because of a
> misconfiguration the machine is not used efficiently.
> Unfortunately nothing can be done if the machine is simply buried in a spam
> run.

:-(

> So my policy is to use pretty reasonable checks that seldom reject wanted
> mails, configure a whitelist for those few (usually a handful within some
> month) and let spamassassin analyse the rest.

I suppose I would do mostly the same in your place.

> Since robust and capable server hardware has become easily affordable it is
> possible for low-level volume sites (less than 50000 mails per day) to use
> pre-queue content filtering and reject the mails directly. The configuration
> is a bit more difficult because all filtering has to be done fast and only as
> many concurrent connections are possible as concurrent content_filter
> processes are supported by the hardware.

pre-queue? Wow. :-O

What kind of software do they use for that? Can postfix do that?

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.