Re: [opensuse] 3C509 (EtherLink III) Not Started at Boot
  • From: Mark <mrk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 09:17:32 -0500
Gordon R. Keehn wrote:
Hi,
I just installed OpenSuSE 10.2 on a rather old box attached to my home network via an even older 3C509 NIC. The card is recognised and configured correctly, and I have specified "Start at Boot", but whether I select NetManager or ifup control I have to go into YAST after every boot and set up the card manually to get it to start. Is there any way to cause it to be started automagically?
Cheers,
Gordon Keehn

I had this problem on one of my machines some years ago.
It was an older machine with an older version of Suse.
My notes said I did the following.

in the file
/etc/init.d/boot.local
add the following line
modprobe 3c509

It worked for me. Your mileage may vary.
I have since replaced all my 3c509 cards with faster ones.