Re: [opensuse] Time problems after upgrade to openSUSe 10.2
  • From: Jim McKean <jmckean@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 14:00:21 +0000

> That means that the locale setting for that user (or system wide) is UTC.
> The system setting would be stored in "/etc/localtime", a binary file
> copied by Yast from somewhere else (doesn't matter). It may be wrong/bad.

Ah ha! /etc/localtime was a symbolic link before upgrade. The upgrade
removed that link but did not replace it. I assumed (incorrectly, it
seems) that that mechanism had been replaced.

> The user setting would be the variable TZ:

The TZ variable is empty

> cer@nimrodel:~> date ; TZ=EST date ; TZ=UTC date
> Wed Dec 20 21:52:20 CET 2006
> Wed Dec 20 15:52:20 EST 2006
> Wed Dec 20 20:52:20 UTC 2006

I am not following this. Are these commands I need to execute?

> I guess it does that because your clock shows local time but says it is UTC
> time.

Yeah, I think. Right now, I have YAST set the clock to local time, but
ntpdate screws that up when it runs.

> Check settings in "/etc/sysconfig/clock".

# cat clock
## Type: string
## ServiceRestart: boot.clock
#
# Set to "-u" if your system clock is set to UTC, and to "--localtime"
# if your clock runs that way.
#
HWCLOCK="--localtime"

## Type: string(Europe/Berlin,Europe/London,Europe/Paris)
## ServiceRestart: boot.clock
#
# Timezone (e.g. CET)
# (this will set /usr/lib/zoneinfo/localtime)
#
TIMEZONE="US/Eastern"
DEFAULT_TIMEZONE="US/Eastern"
## Type: yesno
## Default: yes
#
# Is set to "yes" write back the system time to the hardware
# clock at reboot or shutdown. Usefull if hardware clock is
# much more inaccurate than system clock. Set to "no" if
# system time does it wrong due e.g. missed timer interrupts.
# If set to "no" the hardware clock adjust feature is also
# skipped because it is rather useless without writing back
# the system time to the hardware clock.
#
SYSTOHC="yes"

> Or do the procedure in Yast you did, but do change something, then enter
> again and change back.
>
> Having the HW clock in UTC is the recommended thing in linux, unless you
> double boot to windows, by the way.

I do but not often enough to bother. I do run win4lin pro. I have not
checked to see what it is doing.

--
Jim McKean
Director of Information Services