Re: [opensuse] Time problems after upgrade to openSUSe 10.2
  • From: Jim McKean <jmckean@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 13:45:49 +0000
On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 13:22 -0600, S Glasoe wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 December 2006 12:55, Jim McKean wrote:
> > starting YAST and looking at the time admin panel, I see that the region
> > is set to USA, the Time Zone is set to Eastern, Hardware clock is set to
> > "UTC" and actual time and date is set to 13:36.
> >

> Easiest from my perspective would be to change the hardware clock in YaST to
> localtime instead of UTC. That has kept my time settings correct and
> agreeing with each in all the apps I use since SUSE 7.3 through openSUSE
> 10.2.

I think this is the embarrassing part. Changing to local time fixes
things briefly, but when ntpdate runs again, it updates the internal
clock to UTC, not local. So then the Gnome clock applet is off again.
Evolution message stamps are off, but Evolutions calendar time indicator
line is OK.

How do I tell ntpdate to update to LOCAL time, not UTC? I used to have
a link from /etc/localtime to some timezone file somewhere. The system
set that up, so I am a little vague on the details. The upgrade removed
that link -- I assume there is some other timezone mechanism that I just
don't understand.

If I could fix that, it would fix all but the Evo calendar time
indicator, and that's just an annoyance.