Re: [opensuse] Can spam be defeated?
  • From: Joachim Kieferle <joakie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 22:10:41 +0100
Steven T. Hatton wrote:
It just keeps getting worse. I really don't want to change my email address, but it's all over the Internet, and the spammers are killing my inbox. I don't want to spend a lot of time on this issue, I just want to be able to block these idiots. I'm running a postfix mail server. Is there an easy was to thwart spam? I use the filters built into KMail, but they seem almost worthless.
Hi Steven,

adding

smtpd_recipient_restrictions = [ ......],
reject_rhsbl_client blackhole.securitysage.com,
reject_rhsbl_sender blackhole.securitysage.com,
reject_rbl_client relays.ordb.org,
reject_rbl_client blackholes.easynet.nl,
reject_rbl_client cbl.abuseat.org,
reject_rbl_client proxies.blackholes.wirehub.net,
reject_rbl_client bl.spamcop.net,
reject_rbl_client sbl.spamhaus.org,
reject_rbl_client opm.blitzed.org,
reject_rbl_client dnsbl.njabl.org,
reject_rbl_client list.dsbl.org,
reject_rbl_client multihop.dsbl.org

to the "main.cf" on the mailserver already reduced the amount of spam by approx. 50% on our server [....] means that you should leave your current policies like "permit_mynetworks" how it currently is.

Postgrey http://isg.ee.ethz.ch/tools/postgrey/ has also been mentioned to reduce the amount of spam quite well. I'll use that on one of the upcoming mailservers, so I don't have any experience with that up to now.

However both recommendations just work on mailservers directly accepting the mail,

best

Joachim