Re: [opensuse] Time problems after upgrade to openSUSe 10.2
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 21:52:53 +0100 (CET)

The Wednesday 2006-12-20 at 18:55 -0000, Jim McKean wrote:

> FYI I am in US Eastern time, same as New York.
>
> I have my system clock set with ntpdate in cron (this is a laptop that
> spends a lot of time off net). This has been set up this way for a long
> time and has worked smoothly.
>
> Right now, it is actually 1:36 pm local time.
>
> the system clock is
>
> > date
> Wed Dec 20 18:36:43 UTC 2006

That means that the locale setting for that user (or system wide) is UTC.
The system setting would be stored in "/etc/localtime", a binary file
copied by Yast from somewhere else (doesn't matter). It may be wrong/bad.

The user setting would be the variable TZ:

cer@nimrodel:~> date ; TZ=EST date ; TZ=UTC date
Wed Dec 20 21:52:20 CET 2006
Wed Dec 20 15:52:20 EST 2006
Wed Dec 20 20:52:20 UTC 2006

> The clock applet shows 6:36 pm

Matches.

> starting YAST and looking at the time admin panel, I see that the region
> is set to USA, the Time Zone is set to Eastern, Hardware clock is set to
> "UTC" and actual time and date is set to 13:36.

13:36 local time, I assume.

> I save (without changing anything) and now the applet correctly reads
> 1:36 (well, 1:41 now). All is well until ---
>
> -- ntpdate runs and the clock applet rolls back to 6:56 pm (I am a slow
> writer, ignore the minutes)

I guess it does that because your clock shows local time but says it is UTC
time.

Check settings in "/etc/sysconfig/clock".

Or do the procedure in Yast you did, but do change something, then enter
again and change back.

Having the HW clock in UTC is the recommended thing in linux, unless you
double boot to windows, by the way.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.