[opensuse] Time problems after upgrade to openSUSe 10.2
  • From: Jim McKean <jmckean@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 18:55:03 +0000
After upgrade to 10.2, I cannot seem to get the time settings right in
Evolution, the clock applet and system time. I cannot find a bug, so I
am assuming it is something I have done.

FYI I am in US Eastern time, same as New York.

I have my system clock set with ntpdate in cron (this is a laptop that
spends a lot of time off net). This has been set up this way for a long
time and has worked smoothly.

Right now, it is actually 1:36 pm local time.

the system clock is

> date
Wed Dec 20 18:36:43 UTC 2006

The clock applet shows 6:36 pm

starting YAST and looking at the time admin panel, I see that the region
is set to USA, the Time Zone is set to Eastern, Hardware clock is set to
"UTC" and actual time and date is set to 13:36.

I save (without changing anything) and now the applet correctly reads
1:36 (well, 1:41 now). All is well until ---

-- ntpdate runs and the clock applet rolls back to 6:56 pm (I am a slow
writer, ignore the minutes)

In the meantime, Evolution seems to be time stamping emails in UTC but
the Evolution calendars "current time" indicator (that red line that is
supposed to tell when you are NOW is showing 8:45 am if the clock applet
is right and the right time if the clock applet is 6+pm. FYI, Evolution
"calender and task" timezone is set to America/New York.

I am confused. I know I am going to be embarrassed by the answer, but
can someone help???