Re: [opensuse] Beagle and SUSE 10.2
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 07:19:27 -0800

> > > Why not de-install it and replace it with the findutils?
> >
> > Findutils are great, of course, and I use find, xargs and locate
> > pretty much daily (locate is in a separate package, by the way:
> > findutils-locate). But those tools are not a replacement for beagle
> > or any other content-based indexing, since findutils and friends
> > see only file names
>
> YEP! As follows
>
> locate something losely what your looking for | grep something more
> specific

Still, that only finds plain text. If there are multi-byte characters,
they won't be found. Have you ever looked at a PDF file? There's a
great deal of mark-up (not HTML/XML/SGML-style, but mark-up
nonetheless) that interrupts the logical character sequence, and grep
and relatives are very likely to miss seeing text that's there.
PostScript files likewise. I don't know what OpenOffice and MS
word-processing and other proprietary documents look like, but most
such formats require the interleaving of formatting information in ways
that tends to interfere with plain-text search tools.

Diss Beagle all you like (there are alternatives, you know), but plain
text tools are very limited in searching for content on a modern
computing system.

>... Cheers, Curtis.

Randall Schulz