Re: [opensuse] ATI Drivers - Not yet for everyone
  • From: Curtis Rey <crey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 01:25:56 -0800

On Wed December 20 2006 00:53, John Andersen wrote:
> I was encouraged by discussion on this list that I could at last slap
> my 10.2 DVD in and install on my Core 2 Duo (x86_64) and
> be assured that ATI drivers would be there.
>
> Sadly, that is not yet the case, and after nuking a perfectly good
> 10.1 install, I am stuck at 800x600. Of course this only becomes
> obvious after you add the www2.ati.com repo AFTER install
> only to find it still is not available.
>
> So Late model Radeon (mine is x1400) users should hold
> off for a little longer.

I have 9600XT on 10.2 openSuSE and the ati fglrx drivers installs and loads
the module - but it's always fell back to Mesa software rendering. I tried
to uninstall the Mesa package and libGLU* went away - the ATi drivers have
always been kludgy, But I've had it with ATI and their utter lack of descent
drivers (Linux or Windows) and next vid-card upgrade is nVidia all the way.
So much for thinking AMD would make things better.

Cheers, Curtis.

- --
Spammers Beware: Trespassers will be shot,
survivors will be shot again!

Like the song say: "Everything's 'Zen'... I don't think so"!