[opensuse] Re: [opensuse-amd64] How to build a cluster with 64 bit Opterons and SUSE?
  • From: HG <hg.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 21:57:36 +0200
Hi!

On 12/18/06, Lew Wolfgang <wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
HG wrote:
> Hi!
>
> We would like to build a cluster of multiple Opteron based computers.
> The usage is for scientific computing (multiple scientists running
> large processes usually at the same time... :-) Mainly computing but
> also some large flat file access, no DB stuff.

You might take a look at Penguin Computing's "Scyld".

http://www.penguincomputing.com

We hosted a talk by Penguin and Don Becker recently and
are interested in the technology for HPC applications as
you describe. They support Red Hat Enterprise now, but
Don said they are working on SuSE.

Yes, this is the Don Becker of Ethernet driver fame and
a co-inventor of Beowulf clustering.

Beowulf is exactly what we need. We actually had openMosix in mind,
but the problem with that is that the 2.6 kernel is not yet ready for
production use. And we don't think we can do with 2.4 anymore (we're
not sure, but the guess is that it would cause more headaches). To be
honest, it does not have to be SUSE, I just happen to like SUSE. Scyld
sounds like the best option so far. We'll have to take a closer look
at it (like the kernel version, pricing and all that).

--
HG.