Re: [opensuse] Help with NFS exports
  • From: Sunny <sloncho@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 23:00:11 -0600
On 12/18/06, Marc Hoffman <emulator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all...

I'm running Mac OS X Server 10.4.8. I'm trying to export a share
point via NFS to two types of linux clients: Red Hat (Fedora) and
OpenSuse. When I mount the NFS export on the two clients, I'm finding
inconsistencies in permissions handling. Specifically:

1. Red Hat client - when file and folders are created, they have
POSIX permissions of owner: read/write, group: read/write, others:
read only

2. Suse Client - files and folders are created with owner: read/
write, group: read only, everyone: read only.

What I really want is for all three (owner, group, and everyone) to
have read and write access to the share and to have all files/folders
created in that share to have the read/write for all permissions. I
am controlling access to the shares via IP address restrictions.

Are there any command switches that I need to have on the Linux
clients to ensure that the proper permissions are set on created/
copied files and folders?

Thank in advance.

The default umask for Suse is 022 - i.e. every file you create will
have rw-r--r-- permissions. If you need to change this default
behavior, change your proifile's umask.

Another solution - you do not care to know who (what user) have
created the file, then you can set your exports file to map all
requests either to nobody:nobody or specifically created user on the
server. man exports - and look for all_squash and anonuid and anongid
options.

Cheers

--
Svetoslav Milenov (Sunny)

Even the most advanced equipment in the hands of the ignorant is just
a pile of scrap.