Re: [opensuse] openSUSE-10.2-GM-DVD-x86_64.iso md5sum's do not match
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 16:14:36 +0100 (CET)

The Monday 2006-12-18 at 16:11 +0200, Mark Goldstein wrote:

[ Please, trim you quotes: remove extra unneeded material ]

> > --

> In my case it was slightly different. ISO image had the correct md5sum
> b4d727d2fb62c701233ea537f220e9ee.
>
> But when I checked burned DVD, md5sum returned b750fb7280788860a002f58bf902c7.
> (I burned it using Nero under WinXP and verification passed).
>
> I then used installed x86 version of OpenSuSE 10.2 to check the media
> (YaST2->Software->Media Check) and was surprised to see Result OK.

Yah.

Known bug/feature - to me, at least.

I have a correct image md5sum, but the burned image is different. If I
burn it five times, all five copies have the same md5, but different from
the downloaded image. I then use Yast, and it is correct - so I conclude
it is correct.

I have no idea why. Perhaps it is image padding in the media. Perhaps a
bug in the md5sum implementation. Dunno.

Which md5sum program did you use to check it, the one in Linux, or another
one in windows?

> How could it be? I remember somebody mentioned that YaST media check
> uses different test (SHA1 signature for each packet perhaps?).

No, it is an md5 but zeroing the section where the expected md5sum is
stored.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.