Re: [opensuse] How to build a cluster with 64 bit Opterons and SUSE?
  • From: HG <hg.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 12:00:13 +0200
Hi!

On 12/18/06, Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Dec 18 2006 11:24, HG wrote:
>Subject: [opensuse] How to build a cluster with 64 bit Opterons and SUSE?
>
> Hi!
>
> We would like to build a cluster of multiple Opteron based computers.
> The usage is for scientific computing (multiple scientists running
> large processes usually at the same time... :-) Mainly computing but
> also some large flat file access, no DB stuff.
>
> Can this be done?
> (I think it can: http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36371
> BMW seems to have done it except with woodcrests and not Opterons).
>
> How? Can't find anything really about getting any SUSE version or 2.6
> kernel for that matter to work in cluster. Anybody have any
> experience? Any pointers to resources? Opensourse? Commercial?
> Whatever?

It does not take much. Clusters at GWD run some SLES8 with LSF, throw
in some MPICH programs where you need it, and you are all set.
Or were you looking for an OpenMOSIX-style cluster? That would be
a different matter harder to solve.

Thanks... I think :-)
Sorry, I do have to go and look for MPICH and LSF... as I do not know
what those are. OpenMosix... I think I know.

Little bit more about the needs:
- multiple users (around 12+users)
- all running scientific mathematical calculations on software ranging
from matlab to self programmed software running with java, python, R,
you name it
- programs take from few minutes to days to run, usually at least
couple of hours
- users have hard time to find a "free" CPU/memory

So, if we had the calculation servers set up as a cluster, users could
find computing resources easily. Or more to the point, they would not
have to do that, they just login to the (cluster) server and let the
server worry about where it's running their processes.

So, I do not know if your terms apply here or not. Altough, I think
MPICH sounds like specialized software which we do not have (in that
sense at least).

--
HG.