Re: [opensuse] 10.2 system clock too fast and NTP
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 02:37:22 +0100 (CET)

The Saturday 2006-12-16 at 18:38 -0600, Darryl Gregorash wrote:

> > It also occurs to me that the OP having selected a stratum 1 server, he
> > could be rejected service sometimes.
> I am pretty sure the two servers in his log fragment are both open --
> the one at NIST certainly is; I have used it in the past.

Ok, but it is a fact that he gets the "no servers reachable" message now
and then. I wouldn't hurt to define more servers.

> > > For Byte: what is the output of "adjtimex -p"?
> >
> > That would be very interesting, good idea. It could perhaps be used later
> > to keep the clock on his toes.
> I am not thinking of using adjtimex to adjust the clock, and indeed it
> should not be so used when ntpd is running.

No simultaneously, of course. I said "later". Check what the command says,
and perhaps, use it manually to slow the system clock to a reasonable
value.

> However, with the -p
> parameter, adjtimex prints the kernel time parameters, including the
> value of "tick". If there is an easily resolved problem here, the value
> of "tick" is the first place to look.

I know.

He also could try erasing /var/lib/ntp/drift/ntp.drift first before
starting ntpd again.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.