Re: [opensuse] 10.2 system clock too fast and NTP
  • From: Darryl Gregorash <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 18:38:33 -0600
On 2006-12-16 18:19, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> <snip>
> It also occurs to me that the OP having selected a stratum 1 server, he
> could be rejected service sometimes.
I am pretty sure the two servers in his log fragment are both open --
the one at NIST certainly is; I have used it in the past.

> > What is of more concern is that the local clock seems way out of touch
> > with reality. That suggests to me that ntp is working properly, so long
> > as it can reach a server of course. It is rather something in the kernel
> > configuration that is wrong.
>
> Probably.
>
> > For Byte: what is the output of "adjtimex -p"?
>
> That would be very interesting, good idea. It could perhaps be used later
> to keep the clock on his toes.
I am not thinking of using adjtimex to adjust the clock, and indeed it
should not be so used when ntpd is running. However, with the -p
parameter, adjtimex prints the kernel time parameters, including the
value of "tick". If there is an easily resolved problem here, the value
of "tick" is the first place to look.