Re: [opensuse] 10.2 system clock too fast and NTP
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 01:19:45 +0100 (CET)

The Saturday 2006-12-16 at 16:35 -0600, Darryl Gregorash wrote:

> Both those IPs resolve; 128.138.140.44 is UColorado, while 129.6.15.29
> is time-b.nist.gov. AFAIK, neither of those is in any ntp pool.
>
> The "no servers reachable" messages don't bother me very much, as ntpd
> should be able to keep the time within reason for a lot longer than the
> interval in the above log fragment.

And that is a temporary condition. However, it is good to list several
different servers at different locations. I use servers from different pools
from different countries: more than a dozen. If one is not available or is
bad, the daemon will use another one. Actually, it will choose the best
one from the list.

It also occurs to me that the OP having selected a stratum 1 server, he
could be rejected service sometimes.

> What is of more concern is that the local clock seems way out of touch
> with reality. That suggests to me that ntp is working properly, so long
> as it can reach a server of course. It is rather something in the kernel
> configuration that is wrong.

Probably.

> For Byte: what is the output of "adjtimex -p"?

That would be very interesting, good idea. It could perhaps be used later
to keep the clock on his toes.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.