Re: [opensuse] 10.2 system clock too fast and NTP
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 18:35:39 +0100 (CET)

The Saturday 2006-12-16 at 09:56 -0700, Tom Patton wrote:

> Well in this entire thread, unless I missed it, did he ever really say
> he DID remove /etc/adjtime properly? I saw a "won't work"...but did he
> try?

My crystal ball says it won't. O:-)

> If he removes it, manually sets the time and removes it once again, will
> the pc keep reasonably close time on it's own? ie WITHOUT ntpd?

I don't think so. Not in this case. That trick only works when the time is
set wrong after booting, but it doesn't when the clock goes wrong after
that precise moment.

There is another trick, however, to correct the system time without ntpd,
using the cmos clock periodically for the update.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.