[opensuse] Power off problem
  • From: BandiPat <penguin0601@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 11:08:01 -0500
Hey SuSE guys/girls,

Anyone have any luck in finding the problem causing 10.2 not to power
down the machine? As a couple of others here have had happen, I too
installed 10.2, but it will not power off the computer. It
will "shutdown", but not power off as with earlier versions. It's a
reasonably new mobo of which I've never had a problem with before with
any of the versions of SUSE since 7.2. The acpi is rock solid, has
always worked except for the present build. Kernel? Something else?

I remember seeing some errors during bootup about loading some kernel
modules, but don't remember what they were. It's a test machine, so
I'm not close to it presently. It does appear to be a bug though. I'm
suspecting some new support for a new acpi version which caused loss of
support for previous versions or just a buggy kernel? Just a thought.

bye,
Lee

Ok, answering my own email. Maybe this will help others, maybe not. It
seems that either the kernel or SUSE's kernel or SUSE in general is
using more of the computer's BIOS settings than before.

I decided to try an experiment by changing the BIOS setting of "ACPI
aware OS?" to yes. It has always been no until 10.2, because basically
Linux pays very little attention to BIOS settings. Doesn't seem to be
the case now, because making this change makes the computer power off
normally.

bye