Re: [opensuse] 10.2 system clock too fast and NTP
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 01:09:12 -0900
On Saturday 16 December 2006 01:03, Jan Karjalainen wrote:
> John Andersen wrote:
> > On Saturday 16 December 2006 00:37, Jan Karjalainen wrote:
> >> I have the same problem with one of my machines, the clock runs way too
> >> fast.
> >> I have to run "rcntp restart" every 10 minutes to keep it somehow
> >> adjusted...
> >
> > That's silly.
> > Just run the daemon, that's what its for.
> >
> > man ntpd
>
> Silly is that if I let ntp run by itself, the clock will be off by hours
> after only one day...

I think you are confusing the command line ntp with the
always running and always correcting ntpd.

You have to configure ntpd by adding server lines in
/etc/ntp.conf but once you do that if your clock is
close at boot time it will keep it in sync forever.

But perhaps the bets solution is to find out why your
clock runs that fast.

--
John Andersen