Re: [opensuse] OO diddles
  • From: Leendert Meyer <leen.meyer@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 01:51:07 +0100
On Saturday 16 December 2006 01:21, Doug McGarrett wrote:
> In OO (hey, this is coming up in a font size I can read!) there
> are two problems that I'm running into.  The first is that
> the single quote mark between letters in words like "don't"
> when typing in the equivalent of Times, comes out straight,
> not curly.

Tools -> AutoCorrect -> Custom Quotes

A single quote (') will be converted to the quote you choose.

> The second is that when I want to type "12th," the
> "th" comes out small superscript, when I want it to come out
> just like I typed it here.  There is a way in WordPerfect to
> defeat that, altho I don't remember what it is, and I have no
> familiarity with MSWord, which I know OO is trying to emulate.

You can press ^Z (<Ctrl>-Z) to undo an Auto Correction like that.

To turn off completely:
Tools -> AutoCorrect -> Options -> "Replace 1st... with 1^st.".

> Maybe the quote mark problem could be solved with TTF, but
> you can't get that from M/S anymore, it seems.  Is there a
> real, real simple way to put True Type Fonts on the system?
> (There is no XP on this machine, and it's not networked.)
> But I do own XP, altho it's not up at the moment--machine
> problems--so I have a license to use TTF.

Right-click on a .ttf file, choose "Actions" -> "Install".

Cheers,

Leen