[opensuse] difference su <-> login?
  • From: Daniel Bauer <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 13:23:10 +0100
Hi,

what is the difference when I start an app from console when I'm logged in as
the user, or when I start it from the console as another user after "su -l
username"?

Sorry for my poor english, let me explain:

I have 2 users: "daniel" and "digi". Usually I work as "daniel", but I have a
svn-test-version of digikam installed as user "digi" to keep it apart from my
production environment.

When I'm logged in as "daniel" I open a console and type "su -l digi" and
after the pwd I start digikam. But in digikam I cannot save a changed photo
(overwrite a file). There is no problem writing a *new* file, but overwriting
an existing one is not possible.

When I start a new kde session and log in as "digi" and then start digikam
(using the same starter script), there are no problems overwriting a file.

I thought it makes no difference, whether I log in as the user or start the
command with su -l , but obviously there is a difference.

Please, can somebody explain me, how I can start an app in the console as
another user so that it is just the same as if I started it if I had logged
in as that user - or, if so, why this is not possible?

thanks

Daniel
Madagascar special: http://www.sanic.ch