Re: [opensuse] Samba Admin Help
  • From: Darryl Gregorash <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 14:59:32 -0600
On 2006-12-14 06:12, Billie Erin Walsh wrote:
> david rankin wrote:
>
>> <snip>
>> (1) useradd joe
>> (2) smbpasswd -a joe
>> enter password: blow
>> (3) then make sure that you define a valid share in /etc/samba/smb.conf
>>
>> <snip>
>>

> <snip>
>
> Not meant to be a put down, but sometimes I think the Oldtimers don't
> realize just how powerful the GUI has become. They learned in CLI and
> that's how they know to do it best. NOT a bad thing. Probably much

Don't sell anyone short. One other thing that the CLI is, it is fast,
particularly if you keep a console or 6 open and readily available.
Contrast this with a GUI-based application, which requires extra time to
load and initialize. If you are adding a single user, it is a lot faster
to pop over to a console and type a few commands.

BTW, you certainly are not using user authentication in your Samba
configuration. Yast has no provision for adding a Samba user; for that,
you must use the command line, or you can use SWAT, the Samba web
configuration tool (http://localhost:901, if you have swat running).
There is nothing else that I am aware of.

SWAT is a much better tool than is Yast for administering a Samba
server. It better be, being designed solely to do that task. Maybe some
future version of Yast will be able to do everything that SWAT can do,
but probably not. Configuring your system to run SWAT is definitely
something you can do in Yast, and should do, and it is easy:
Yast/Network Services, network services (xinetd). Find "swat", and
simply toggle its status to "on". However, there is a downside to SWAT
too: In the manual, we find this remark:

"WARNINGS

swat will rewrite your smb.conf(5) f
<http://localhost:901/swat/help/smb.conf.5.html>ile. It will rearrange
the entries and delete all comments, include= and copy=/// /options. If
you have a carefully crafted smb.conf then back it up or don't use swat!"

There are indeed some things for which the command line is the only
option, so best you learn that as well.