Re: [opensuse] Samba Admin Help
----- Original Message ----- From: "Billie Erin Walsh" <bilwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
david rankin wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Felix Miata" <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
On 2006/12/13 22:29 (GMT-0500) Thomas Miller apparently typed:

Unfortunately, it failed to change the password. I am assuming the
default password is blank? So when it asked for my old password, I
should just hit enter.

Before there can be a samba user setup with smbpasswd there must be a
user of same name setup with useradd or a GUI tool for user management.
Once the user "msuser" exists in /etc/passwd, then you can create the
corresponding samba user "msuser" thus 'smbpasswd -a msuser', and it
will then ask for the password you wish msuser to use.
--

To make it simple, an example with help. The easiest way to avoid
problems when you are getting started is to make sure the windows user

So if you have a windows login of "joe" and password of "blow", then on
the linux box (as root)

(1) useradd joe
(2) smbpasswd -a joe
enter password: blow
(3) then make sure that you define a valid share in /etc/samba/smb.conf

[myshare]
comment = I want to share this with windows
path = /home/samba/directorytoshare
writeable = Yes
inherit permissions = Yes

Also, under the [global] section of the smb.conf file you will want to set:
wins support = yes

to help with netbios name resolution

That should do it........

Not meant to be a put down, but sometimes I think the Oldtimers don't
realize just how powerful the GUI has become.

Thanks for cheering me up............. Now I feel really dated........

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
510 Ochiltree Street