Re: [opensuse]
  • From: S Glasoe <srglasoe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 15:10:54 -0600
On Sunday 10 December 2006 09:10, Frank Arnold wrote:
> OK, I downloaded andd wrote to a DVD the
> iso file for Suse 10.2. 10.1 now insssssssssstalled on thiss computer.
> Will this new DVD ddo an upgrade or will it wipe aou all the data
> in my home direectory?

Don't know if you ever got an answer to this but to keep it short: It
depends - but whatever you do make backups and verify they are usable.

We need more info on your current setup to give a proper answer.

Do you have a separate /home partition? If 'yes' then do _not_ format it
during install when the partitions get set up and your data should be
there. If 'no' (you do not have a separate /home partition) then make
backups and verify they are usable. Then if you choose 'update' during
install your /home data should be preserved.

All bets are off if you have only a / root partition which includes
the /home directory and you choose 'fresh install'. All is not lost if you
verify the partitioning scheme and make sure that you aren't formatting
your / root partition.

More info please,
Stan