[opensuse] Re: [OT] What's in a Name?
  • From: Stephen Berman <Stephen.Berman@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 20:32:19 +0100
On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 10:16:50 -0800 Randall R Schulz wrote:

> On Wednesday 13 December 2006 10:01, Geir A. Myrestrand wrote:
>> Philipp Thomas wrote:
>> >
>> > Let a German tell you that it doesn't ;-) I can only guess that it
>> > is related to Schulze, which is an old term for mayor. So in the
>> > end, you weren't *that* far away :)
>>
>> No need to guess, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schulz
>
> I wrote "policeman" first, but then after checking the association with
> the SS, changed it to "protector." I'm guessing that a common root is
> involved with all these various meanings.

According to the etymologies I've seen, Schulze is a shortened form of
Schultheiss, which literally means, roughly, the one who orders debts
to be collected (Schuld = debt, related to English should). Schutz
derives from a word meaning to contain or damn in (water), related to
English shut.

Steve Berman