Re: [opensuse] Sound issues when installing 10.2
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 18:07:14 +1100
Clayton wrote:
Is this the card you have?-

http://www.krex.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=514

Yes, that's the card.

OK, I may be on to something here -- maybe.

Do you still have 10.1 installed where the same card and kmix are working OK? I hope so... :-) .

It is a very strange thing that 10.2 recognises the same card as a different card to what 10.1 has and where it is working without a hitch.

When I do 'cat /proc/asound/cards' in 10.1 I get that my card is an Audigy 4 [SB0400] using IRQ 177.

When I do same in 10.2 I get that my card is an Audigy 4 [SB0610] using an IRQ 217.

OK, I won't quibble about the IRQ but the SB number is a totally different matter.

It seems that (?)KDE applies a different kmix menu to different cards which is why I don't have, for example, the green LEDs showing in kmix. Also, I do not have the same channels showing in 10.2 as I do in 10.1 -- in fact the same applies in Yast Control Centre>Hardware>Sound where when I go to check the volume I don't have the same list of channels showing. (So, the whole thing may be Yast related rather than KDE - which one sets the kmix display?)

Check the above in 10.1 and 10.2 and see if your card is recognised correctly and let me know 'cause I am damn curious :-) .

And if the results *are* different then we need to find out who to badger about getting this bug fixed.

Cheers.