Re: [opensuse] Forcing a download of a file?
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 16:21:01 -0800
On Sunday 10 December 2006 16:05, John Andersen wrote:
> On Sunday 10 December 2006 14:57, Randall R Schulz wrote:

> > > In that case, your firefox is horribly broken, and I suggest
> > > you use a different browser for this function, and also to
> > > upgrade your firefox.
> >
> > That is probably not the case. It's eminently possible to write
> > pages that take over many of the baseline functions of the browser
> > (bring up Google Maps and right-click on the map--nothing happens)
>
> Would you like me to send you the saved map, or the screen shot of
> me saving the map?

That's hardly the point.

> More to the point: Have you ever heard of someone putting a link to
> an rpm on a page and then making it impossible to save as?

Well, since the OP said this was from Oracle, I went to their site and
poked around until I found some RPMs whose download was a little
unusual (see
<http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/xe/htdocs/102xelinsoft.html>).
For one thing, if you don't click the radio button that indicates your
acceptance of the license terms, the download links activate JavaScript
that displays an alert reminding you that you must. The same links, if
you right-click them, so context menus that do not include "save as."
If you select the license acceptance radio button, then clicking the
RPM download link takes you to a login page. However, if you
right-click that link and "Save Link As..." it allows you to save
something, and the something has the default name of the RPM you'd get
if you went through the log-in process and retrieved the RPM file
(e.g., "oracle-xe-univ-10.2.0.1-1.0.i386.rpm"), but the bytes you get
are the HTML of the login page.

There are many forms confusion possible that don't represent
malfunctions in the browser.

Randall Schulz