Re: [opensuse] KPowersave Crash (10.2)
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 13:46:15 -0900
On Sunday 10 December 2006 10:17, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> Since this system will be (in part) a server, it will remain an
> always-on system. It is by far the slowest system I've ever used as
> measured by the time from power-on (or reset) to KDE prompt. Which is
> ironic, since it's by far the most high-performing system I've ever
> owned.

There are time when KDE boots that it takes forever. I've tracked these
down to it trying to restart tasks that were running as of the last shutdown.

You can often see these in top with the "c" command running with big fuzzy
command tails:
kalarm -session 1070656e0000115825652900000040960012_1165738664_883947

Some times you will see dozens of these try to restart because they don't
always get cleared properly and hang around forever, trying to restart at
each boot, sometimes failing silently, other times running doing nothing
but in any case taking a lot of time on bootup.

Sometimes you can cure this by manually shutting down every task you don't
need and then checking top again to make sure there is nothing in there you
can't explain. Then log out of the kde session. (Be sure to log out, not
shutdown or anything else).

You can then log back in again and look for more of these.

Other times, you just have to look in
/home/<user>/.kde/share/config/session
and delete anything you don't want running on next boot.

Also maker sure there are not suspended KDE sessions for other
users (resulting from switching users).

I know this part is not helpful:
Why would you run kde on a server? Why not just runlevel 3?

--
John Andersen