Re: [opensuse] Splitting MP3's
  • From: J Sloan <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 13:47:11 -0800

John K Masters wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 15:52:05 -0500 Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sunday 10 December 2006 15:38, John K Masters wrote:
>>> Googled like mad (pun intended) for a solution but it seems that this
>>> is common and unsolvable. Despite installing libmad and all the other
>>> depends, audacity will still not compile as it cannot find libmad.
>> You do not need to compile Audacity, John. I have never had to compile
>> Audacity for SUSE and I use it all the time.
>>
>> Carl
>
> Carl.
>
> Thank you for your patience but it seems I DO have to compile as the repos,
> including Packman, do NOT provide Audacity with MP3 support WITHOUT
> installing extra libs, which the RPM then does not see. If you Google for
> ``audacity libmad'' you will see many examples of failed attempts to
> install Audacity and NO solutions. It seems it's a Suse thing. Not to
> worry, I'm only passing through as they say.
>
> I have tried hard to like Suse over the years (and there are a lot of
> things to like) but I shall probably go back to Deb or maybe Slack.

LOL, John - you don't have to "try hard to like suse", you need only use the
fine package management systems available for suse. Others here have been
using audacity with no problems; they simply used the package management
system to install it and all it's dependencies automagically, They've tried to
gently explain, but it seems you don't want to hear about it.

Peace indeed,

Joe