Re: [opensuse] Splitting MP3's
  • From: Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 15:50:20 -0500
On Sunday 10 December 2006 14:39, John K Masters wrote:
> Hmm already hitting the dependancy issues that drove me to Debian. :)

PEBCAK! ;-)

> Installed libmad but rpm -Uvf audacity* fails dependancy libmad.so.0
>
> This is the first I've used Suse since 7.1 and, although much easier to
> install, it is still suffering from an outdated package management system.

There is nothing "outdated" about rpm, John. You just haven't learned how to
configure your installation sources correctly. There are 'third party'
package repositories (like Packman and Guru, for example) and alternative
'package management' front-ends available, too, including smart and apt.

> I've used Audacity before on Debian and Slackware but never for splitting
> MP3's.

If you're having problems installing Audacity, that doesn't mean it isn't
worth installing or that it isn't an appropriate tool for the kind of project
you described. I repeat: one's choice of tools is driven by the requirements.

If you're splitting 'commercial/broadcast quality' audio then Audacity might
not be an appropriate choice. But I have no way of knowing that. You only
said the files were 'long' and needed to be split into shorter segments. In
these situations I sometimes prefer to 'audition' prospective break points by
ear. I also like to add fade-out/fade-in effects, as needed, and to
'normalize' and/or 'compress' and/or 'equalize' and/or filter out unwanted
noise, also as needed.

So, use whatever tool you like best that you can get installed. Linux is all
about choice, right?

regards,

Carl