Re: [opensuse] Forcing a download of a file?
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 10:51:11 -0800
Wolfgang,

On Sunday 10 December 2006 10:44, Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thomas Miller wrote:
> > No. And when I try to configure the download, it isn't there. In
> > Windows I can configure each file extension individually. There is
> > no option for this. I was going to update it, but there is no
> > update menu item either.
>
> The problem is the realplayer plugin. It registers *.rpm as extension
> for Real content. So if the web server doesn't give you a specific
> mime-type for the file the browser tries to find the right
> application by the suffix. Plugins are first consulted and so
> Realplayer gets the content.
> Either remove realplayer or get the site administrator get his web
> server fixed to transmit the correct mime-type for the file.

This all makes sense, but it does not explain the absence of a "Save
Link as..." context menu entry on the link in question.

However, if one has an "ordinary" URL (http:, https: or ftp:), then one
can use "wget" to retrieve the target, fully independent of any browser
configuration or behaviors.

> Wolfgang

Randall Schulz