[opensuse] vobcopy and damaged disk
  • From: Simon Roberts <thorpflyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 10:12:21 -0800 (PST)
Hi all,

I have an old home movie DVD which I didn't store very well. I wanted to copy some of it and edit it to make a Christmas gift for relatives, but I can't read it due to some corruptions. I'm using vobcopy to get it onto my machine prior to editing, and the problem is that as soon as vobcopy comes across an error, it gives up totally. I was hoping there might be some way to persuade it to skip over the corrupted part and keep copying after that point. At least then I could use the undamaged parts of the movie to make my new compilation. Is this possible, my DVD player still seems able to play most of it, it just does the "jitter and skip" thing at a number of points.

Any thoughts? I suppose I could re-digitize the output of the DVD player itself, but that sounds like a really yukky option.

Cheers,
Simon

"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions." — Naguib Mahfouz