[opensuse] keeping a server up to date
  • From: Jonathan Horne <suse@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 10:17:48 -0600
long story short, last year i forsook (is that a word?) linux for freebsd.
goodbye fedora. fast forward a bit, i find i have an app i am unable to run
in freebsd, even with linux_emulation, so im back to having one linux box on
my network. after careful consideration of distros with all features i need,
i end up on suse (i did all my testing from a desktop approach, using my ibm
laptop... i figure if it will do a desktop im satisfied with, linux is linux,
ill probably be happy with it as a server as well).

ok time passes, and i have a linux server back in production (for
vmware-server). my biggest pain, is performing system updates from a command
line only. forgive me forgive me (for comparing suse to fedora), but in
fedora what i want to accommplish is a simple as:

yum -y update
(wait, done, reboot if necessary). or if i want to pull down something that
is not installed:
yum -y install [packagename]
(wait, done)

how can i accomplish these tasks, as simply, in suse? even tho i feel uneasy
about the recenent goings on, i still prefer to stay with suse rather than
switch back to fedora. i know yast is quite powerful, but ive never learned
the ins and outs, and each time i try to update the system with yast, im told
to either insert my dvd, or that the media in the drive does not match my
system. i must be taking a wrong turn somewhere. tips, links to definitive
command line guides, or any general adivce would be truly apprecated.

cheers,
jonathan