Re: [opensuse] Intel_AGP / AGPgart / P965 / G965 / ASUS P5B Deluxe Mix-up
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 20:32:13 -0800

> The Asus URL I provided is not about product engineering quality. The
> problem is about the sufficiency of manufacturer support for those in
> the unfortunate circumstance of needing it while not being a windoz
> user.

And what sort of support does one really ever need from the
manufacturer? I've never had a need to contact a mainboard vendor or
get anything from them that could not be gotten from the Internet. I've
had SuperMicro, MSI, Intel and ASUS mainboards (and Macs). All I've
ever needed post-installation is new BIOS firmware, and that's always
available via the Internet. (And I've never needed to contact Apple for
Mac support, either, and I've had more of them than I've had Intel PCs
running Linux or Windows.)

As far as I'm concerned, the vendor support issue is a red herring.

And lastly, my question was about the "agpgart" and "intel_agp" modules,
which I still need to understand so I can deal with the problem in the
latest 10.2 kernel.

E.g., if I have a nVidia board (and no mainboard graphics), do I need
the agpgart and / or intel_agp kernel modules at all? And if not, how
can I suppress them so I can reenable memory mapping and regain use of
my system's RAM above 3GB?

Randall Schulz