Re: [opensuse] hard drive problem, help, please
  • From: Wade Jones <wjones@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 20:52:56 -0600
On Saturday 09 December 2006 20:36, Doug McGarrett wrote:
I'm having a problem with a setup using 2 hard drives.
hda is XP, hdb is Suse 10.0. If both drives are
connected, something is telling the bios that there are NO
hard drives connected. If I disconnect hdb, I get
a message that the primary hard drive has been
detected. Then when the system tries to boot I
get a grub failure error. I really don't need Linux on that
machine. How can I get the machine to boot into XP
without the grub boot error, with the second drive disconnected?
I am also having trouble with the CD player on that machine,
so it's problematical if I can boot off a CD. (I don't have
any kind of backup disk for XP, as far as I remember.)
I could have done this with an old Windows, with fdisk mbr,
off of a floppy, but I don't know what XP wants.

--doug

Perhaps the drive detection issue is caused by the setting of the master/slave
jumpers on the drives?

AFAIK, FDISK /MBR works for all versions of Windows.

You can also boot the recovery console (if you have the XP media) and run
FIXMBR. [though it sounds like this may not be possible for you.]