Re: [opensuse] Intel_AGP / AGPgart / P965 / G965 / ASUS P5B Deluxe Mix-up
  • From: "Joe Morris (NTM)" <Joe_Morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 08:16:39 +0800
Randall R Schulz wrote:
> I'm trying to learn enough about the relevant software and hardware to
> rectify this situation. The work-around, suggested by Marcus Camen, of
> disabling memory remapping in the BIOS works, and I can boot and run
> the 10.2 final kernel, but it comes at the cost of losing 1 GB of my
> installed RAM. Naturally, I need to rectify this.
>
> This is all unfamiliar to me. Where might I learn what I'll need to know
> to regain the full use of my hardware?

i don't know that hardware in particular, but assuming that is an x86_64
arch, some searching in the amd64 list for the past few years will
reveal that this is a BIOS problem, and the only way to get use of your
memory (has to do IIRC with PCI memory remapping and a hole used for
allocation for PCI cards) back is a corrected BIOS. So, make sure you
have the latest BIOS update. Otherwise, you might complain to ASUS, but
don't hold your breath there.

--
Joe Morris
Registered Linux user 231871