[opensuse] Intel_AGP / AGPgart / P965 / G965 / ASUS P5B Deluxe Mix-up
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 15:29:46 -0800
Hi,

As some of you may have already noticed, owners of ASUS P5B Deluxe
mainboards with Intel P965 (_not_ G965) chipsets and > 3GB of RAM and
the BIOS set to enable remapping of the I/O memory space to enable
access to the RAM beyond 3GB, the intel_agp and / or agpgart kernel
module (or related software) spuriously detects a 965G and immediately
aftward, during start-up, does something that causes the system to lock
up hard.

I'm trying to learn enough about the relevant software and hardware to
rectify this situation. The work-around, suggested by Marcus Camen, of
disabling memory remapping in the BIOS works, and I can boot and run
the 10.2 final kernel, but it comes at the cost of losing 1 GB of my
installed RAM. Naturally, I need to rectify this.

This is all unfamiliar to me. Where might I learn what I'll need to know
to regain the full use of my hardware?

Thanks.

Randall Schulz