Re: [opensuse] 10.2 Font Quality Backsliding from RC1 -> GM
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 13:15:07 -0800
On Saturday 09 December 2006 12:34, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2006/12/09 12:21 (GMT-0800) Randall R Schulz apparently typed:
> > If I liked it better the way it was in RC1,
>
> I already wrote about this here twice in less than 24 hours. :-p

I'm not seeing it. Could you tell me the Subject: header of the messages
you're referring to?

> Installed and updated from factory only:
> http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/SS/qt-gtk-fonts102f.png :-)
>
> Installation from final released 10.2 DVD:
> http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/SS/qt-gtk-fonts102r.png :-(

This has nothing to do with GTK / Gnome, I'm seeing it just in the basic
KDE components such as the toolbar, Konsole, the Control Center, etc.

Wait a minute... Are YaST's components KDE / Qt or Gnome / GKT programs?
They seem to also show the degradation.

I suppose I could try to describe the changes I'm seeing. It appears
that the basic letterforms are lighter in weight but the anti-aliasing
is stronger. I suspect (but am not certain / do not know for a fact)
that this is the result of anti-aliasing taking the place of proper
hinting. In all my experience getting fonts under Linux just the way I
like them, the hint interpreter is superior.

> > how do I get it back? What changed?
>
> Probably most of us want to know. Maybe with a couple dozen threads
> on the subject somebody with a solution may show up to share it.

Randall Schulz