Re: [opensuse] Anybody like the new KDE start menu?
  • From: HG <hg.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 18:57:55 +0200
Hi!

I was going to write about my first impressions... but since you started it.

On 12/8/06, Michael Schueller <schueller-berlin@xxxxxx> wrote:
Am Freitag, 8. Dezember 2006 18:21 schrieb John Meyer:
> I'm kinda digging it, just for the compactness of the menus.

No!

Klick right on the menue to change back to old style...

Thanks! This is just what I was looking for - I had been looking for
it a long time. I just could not figure what selection to make where.
Until you confirmed that it must be one of those and then I just
tried.

Why I hate it? Those of you that designed it, please read through -
you still have done quite good job in trying change the menu. Please
read and do not hate me for saying this.

Good points:
- It looks good!
- It tries reduce the clutter by showing only parts of it at a time.

The bad:
- Usability

The bad things that affect the usability are size, mouse usage and
confusing split of items together with large number of items.

The limited size means that you have a scroll bar in the menu! That's
makes selecting programs very frustrating.

Also the fact that the sub-menus do not open if you hover over them
with the mouse - you actually have to click on it to open. Just try to
"surf" around the menu for some time (for instance to get the feel
what you have there, or to find some particular program). Just count
the mouse clicks (and compare to the traditional menu) while you are
waiting for the cool animation on a slow computer. The tabs open with
hovering, so why can't the sub menus? Actually, in "Configure - KDE
Panel - Menus" it is selected that "Open (K) menu on mouse hover". Not
sure what it means, but what happens is that I used to get the cool
hover effects from the icons but the menu didn't open. And the sub
menus do not open. But the tabs do open. Confusing. (Somewhere during
this, I lost the hover effects from the icons - I thought it is the
check box on "Configure - KDE Panel - Appearance" ... but that is
checked.)

Favorites and history. These are both dynamic sub views to the
applications menu. So, in effect you have same programs in the same
menu in 3 different places. I do understand what the difference
between these is... favourites removes the need to manually group the
favourite programs, from history you'll find the obscure program you
just started and everything is in the Applications. But 3 places -
that's a bit too much. And still, why are these separated with the
computer-tab... which actually seems to have some programs there also!
So 4 places. Where was that configuration tool that I used last week?

And then the Leave. Is leave the correct term? I've never heard that
anybody would leave a OS. Well, ok on this list many people have been
heard to say that they'll leave SUSE after the MS deal ;-) Maybe
that's what the leave stands for?

The Leave-menu has 8 options (+ the scrollbar). Switch user brings up
another two. Start operating system another 3 (from which one is
floppy, even though I do not have a floppy drive). Logout brought up
another dialog asking for confirmation. How accidentially do you get
to the logout on leave menu on the SUSE-menu? Locking results in a
dialog asking for the password, but at the same time offering to log
in as another user. So what is the difference to the switch user that
locks the screen? And then shutdown, restart and further down another
restart and then in between those two "pause" selections. I mean
leaving SUSE really is hard ;-) Again, I know what those all mean, but
I will have to teach this to my wife and children.

So, I'm back to the old KDE menu. Submenus open just by hovering, no
scrollbars, I can easily surf around the submenus and find things,
shutdown has less options.

--
HG.