[opensuse] Channel download during install of 10.2
  • From: Kevin Donnelly <kevin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 14:04:32 +0000
A couple of points on the 10.2 install process:

First, it no longer gives you the option of skipping the "download latest
updates" screen. This is surely sub-optimal - I am on broadband, but there
are others who are not, and it seems excessive to insist they download things
before they can complete the install.

Second, the laptop offered to "register" a channel (I also added the non-oss
one) and then spent 20 minutes downloading *something* (presumably the
channel contents). This had to be done again when Sax2 didn't work (see
separate post), and the install restarted at the halfway mark. Would it not
be better to do the channel stuff as the very last stage in the install, so
that a restart doesn't waste that time (and bandwidth)?

Third, when I opened YaST expecting to see these channels, they were nowhere
to be found. So what was it downloading, and where did "it" go? I would
have thought this is so obvious that it couldn't have been missed, so it is
unlikely to be a bug (?), but I'd love to know what it was doing, and what
became of the unfortunate download! (I installed Guru's Smart rpms in any
case, because I find it a better system.)

--
Pob hwyl / Best wishes

Kevin Donnelly

www.kyfieithu.co.uk - KDE yn Gymraeg