[opensuse] Re: don't set Reply-to!! (was NO PERSONAL REPLIES...)
  • From: Joachim Schrod <jschrod@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 04:09:44 +0100
JB wrote:
On Thursday 07 December 2006 19:04, Joachim Schrod wrote:

>> [vacation messages sent to lists]
>>
>> Any decent mailing list software will filter out these messages.
>> Get a better mailing list software if that happens.

JE> Or better yet: have the user configure their mail blurb in a way
JE> so that it does not autoreply to lists, which would be the overall
JE> best solution!

To rely on every person to configure their mail environment correctly
is not a solution, IMNSHO. One needs to tackle that on the one place
where one can address the problem; at the mailing list software.

So the app programmer has to make those who aren't lazy or stupid, pay by making an app just *for* lazy and stupid people? Doesn't that just condone and perpetuate laziness and stupidity?

Of course, I hope that laziness is perpetuated. Every good programmer is lazy, that's why he writes programs - to let computers do the work that I abhor. Why should I do something that a computer can do as well?

And if you think that `the need to avoid thinking how to use an application because it Just Works(tm)' is `perpetuating stupidity' because the users are not forced to think deeply how to use their MUA any more -- well, yes, then I'm for perpetuating stupidity as well. I don't think that this kind of thinking is time well spent and I would rather read a good book instead.

When I read these kind of arguments, I understand why Apple users are so snobists when they look at Linux -- and they are right, damned!

Joachim

PS: As I wrote already, the solution is actually to use gmane, where a sane interface as a newsgroup is available.