Re: [opensuse] SOLVED Intel P965 MB and 10.2 beta 2
  • From: Jim Hamilton <hhew6709@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 19:07:26 +0900
On Wednesday 29 November 2006 11:58, Jim Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday 17 November 2006 22:17, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > Jim,
> >
> > On Friday 17 November 2006 02:35, Jim Hamilton wrote:
>
> Snip --
>
> > 1) Bad DVD drive
> > 2) Bad medium or burn
> > 3) Bad download
> >

> I am beginning to suspect a power supply type of problem, may be under
> powered (currently 550W with scsi dds tape, 2 x 320GB disks, sata dvd,
> floppy, internal memory card reader).
>
> More investigation needed.

Finally appear to have nutted this one out. Not all DDR2 800 memory is created
equal. After a lot of testing and all sorts of odd results I swapped out the
originally supplied DDR2800 and put Kingston DDR2800 memory and we now appear
to be flying. Clue was that although the originally supplied memory was
supposed to be DDr2800 the BIOS would only ever enable it as 667. Any attempt
to try to change it BIOS rendered the system unbootable.

Testing in some different systems now seems to work fine.

I guess this is the price for being on the leading edge of hardware.

Thanks for those that provided feedback.

BR Jim